In 1873 the first chapel in Chackbay was established by Pere Charles Menard. Prior to building a chapel, services were conducted in private homes. The parish of Our Lady of Prompt Succor was established in Chackbay in April 1892. The first parish hall known as the Gym was built in 1938 and was used for social activities. The present church was dedicated on June 10, 1951. A new rectory was constructed in 1955 and in 1958 air conditioning was added to the chuch, making it the first air conditioned Catholic church in Lafourche Parish. The Chackbay Catholic Center was built in 1979. Construction of a new canopy in the front of the church was completed in February 2002. Through a fund sponsored by the Chackbay Knights of Columbus Council #8743, a monument of the Ten Commandments and the Beatitudes was installed in the front entrance of the church in December 2005. A rose garden with a statue of Our Lady of Lourdes was added through the generous donations of parishioners in June 2009.
Rev. Patrick Riviere